Writing is known as a solitary act, but the truth is, no one really writes alone. It’s a fact: having someone read your work and give their honest feedback will help your writing. Having a deadline will also help.
But maybe there’s not a writers’ group in your area, or you’re shy about showing your work to someone you know. Yet you want to better understand your work. Or you want to make it stronger, but you don’t know where to start. Or maybe you’re just stuck and need someone else’s brain for a minute.
Well, now you have me. Hi! I’ve been teaching and coaching one-on-one for several years, and am excited to work with you on your schedule, wherever you may live.
In addition to being an author, I also:
- have taught for Western CT State University’s undergraduate creative writing program, UCLA Extension Writers’ Program, the Westport Writers’ Workshop, and in my own independent workshops
- am currently on the graduate faculty for WCSU’s MFA program
- hold an MFA in Fiction Writing & Literature from the Writing Seminars at Bennington College
- have worked as a ghostwriter, a speechwriter, a writer of public relations campaigns, and advertising webisodes
- have written comedy for the stage
I’m here to help you become the writer you want to be.
How It Works
- You send me (via email) up to 30 pages of manuscript — short story, novel chapter(s), memoir
- Within a week’s time, I return your manuscript with detailed notes and written feedback
- We have a 30-minute, in-depth conversation (phone or Skype, your choice) about your work
- I will do line-editing where necessary, but the real value is in the big-picture notes. I’m most concerned with how a piece works: are the characters doing things that are true to them? Are you being true to the characters? Is this the best order for your scenes? Are these your best start and end points?
- I vow to be respectful. I’m interested in helping you become the best you, not in your becoming more like me. I read widely, and I’ve had students working at all levels and in all genres
- $175 for one session (reading + email feedback + phone/Skype discussion)
- If you have a longer piece or would prefer a block of sessions, I can accommodate you, and at a discount
- Ditto for full-manuscript (book-length) editing
- If you need recommendations from other writers who have worked with me, I will gladly provide them
Ready? Just fill out the form below and I’ll get back to you ASAP. Thank you!
[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]